Nearly 700 participants are expected to attend the 85th annual meeting of the World Organisation of Animal Health (OIE), bringing together all the Member Countries, as well as the international and regional partners of the Organisation.
During this event, held between 21-26 May at Maison de la Chimie in Paris, new intergovernmental standards for animal health and welfare will be adopted, and the current global landscape of animal diseases, including zoonosis, will be analysed.
The Director General, Dr Monique Eloit, will also report on the progress made in the implementation of the 6th Strategic Plan.
In particular, the following topics will be addressed this year:
* Latest developments in global strategies developed by the OIE, particularly in relation to the fight against antimicrobial resistance.
* Publication of a new OIE Animal Welfare Strategy.
* Launch of a rinderpest communication campaign and publication of the 2016 Annual Report.
* Adoption of new official disease status and recognition of national control programs for certain priority diseases.
* Presentation of future developments envisaged for WAHIS, the OIE World Animal Health Information System towards the WAHIS+ system.
This 2017 edition will also celebrate the 10th anniversary of the launch of the OIE PVS Pathway, a global program for the improvement of Veterinary Services.