16 members of staff were taken to hospital last week after a chemical leak at 2 Sisters’ Willand poultry processing plant in Devon.
The incident happened last Tuesday, 11 December in the afternoon, a 2 Sisters spokesman said.
“The Health and Safety of our colleagues is our key priority. 16 colleagues in total were affected and taken to hospital, all have now been discharged.
“The leak was identified at 15.45 and the site was evacuated, colleagues were allowed back onto site at 17.45.”
Neil Parish MP tweeted that he had visited the site and spoken with senior management about the incident, which he said involved ammonia gas. “The senior team has worked quickly to replace the faulty release valves and the site is up and running with air quality under control,” he said.